Zoo News and Updates




Ride the Train: Enjoy a train ride through Brackenridge Park

Ride the Train

Enjoy a train ride through Brackenridge Park

Zoo Train

Choo! Choo! Your way to the San Antonio Zoo Eagle Train Ride


Purchase your train tickets at the Train Depot Shop located next to the Train Depot Cafe.

Opens daily at 9 a.m. 

Cost:

Adults and children (ages 3+):  $3.50

Children under 3:      FREE

HISTORY:

Since 1956, the San Antonio Zoo Eagle, formerly known as the Brackenridge Eagle, has chugged along the tracks skirting the banks of the San Antonio River as it makes its way through one of San Antonio's most popular parks. Today, various stops include the Witte Museum, Kiddie Park, and the Japanese Tea Gardens, also known as the Sunken Gardens. All stops are weather permitted and may change without notice.

Generations of Brackenridge Park visitors have ridden the rails past the San Antonio Zoo. It has braved several derailments, a couple of collisions, and even a modern-day train robbery during the summer of 1970.

Enjoy lunch at the train depot café located next to the train depot gift shop.

TRAIN FACT:

  • The railroad was built in 1956.
  • In 1956, the Brackenridge Eagle was the longest miniature railroad in the world.
  • The first train was a 1/5-scale model of the diesel-type passenger train developed by General Motors.
  • The scenic route was over 3-miles long. It made several stops at various points-of-interests in the park.
  • In July of 1970, the Brackenridge Eagle encountered its first train robbery.
  • Today, this 56 year old San Antonio tradition is still enjoyed by millions of local residents
    and tourists who visit the park and the San Antonio Zoo.
  • The San Antonio Zoo took over the miniature train in 2001, after signing a 23 year lease agreement with the City of San Antonio.
  • It was renamed the San Antonio Zoo Eagle.
  • Improvements to the Zoo train included 2-miles of new track and ties,
    two refurbished locomotives, re-vamped train depots, and the main depot and cafe.
  • In 2005, the Zoo purchased a third train and named it the Lukey J.
  • All three trains are replicas of the original 1863 C.P. Huntington #3 train.
  • Trains, tracks, and ties are inspected daily by trained Zoo staff.
  • Trains, track, and ties are inspected annually during November by Barkley & Associates.